Thursday, March 7, 2013

Aqualia Thermal 24Hr Hydrating Fortifying Lotion SPF 25 Review

Hi everyone!

I had been in the hunt for a simple sunscreen that wouldn't leave me with a white cast. Finding no good options anywhere around me, I went for a two in one product. Vichy's Aqualia range is one that I had tried before - I love their eye gel - so I figured I would try their moisturizer with SPF 30.


What is it?
A moisturizer with SPF 25.

Why is a sunscreen necessary? 

For a long time I used to hate the thought of sunscreen. It would remind me of funky scents and a white, greasy face. Not flattering. But wearing sunscreen daily is, in my opinion, the most important beauty advice. Not only are you protecting your skin against harmful UV rays which can lead to skin cancer, but you're also shielding it against premature aging. Yes, sun damage causes early wrinkles and hyper-pigmentation.

Use sunscreen on sunny days AND cloudy days as well. Everyday, all-year round.

Packaging
You get a good 50ml in a small, portable light blue plastic bottle. It comes with a pump which makes this a very hygienic product.





What is the texture like?
Creamy, but easy to blend. It doesn't leave any white streaks behind. The product does have a light fragrance to it - to me it smells like regular sunscreen, but it is not overpowering.








It's good to know that...
- It's oil-free and paraben-free.
- It contains Vichy Thermal Water and hyaluronic acid.
- It's allergy tested, so it's good for people with sensitive skin.
- It's non-comedogenic. 

What type of skin is this recommended for?
For those that are new to the blog, I have combination skin. My T-zone tends to get oily while the rest of my face is normal. I would say this would be good for people with dry, normal and combination skin. 

My thoughts?
I think this is an extraordinary daily moisturizer. It's very moisturizing, yet not greasy. It leaves my skin soft and plump and my favorite part of all: it doesn't leave any white streaks on the face. It's easy to blend across the face and it works great under makeup. It does not make my face shiny nor oily. Love!



What I'm wearing today
Vichy Aqualia Thermal UV Lotion
Benefit Girl Meets Pearl 
Maybelline Fit Me Concealer
Nars Laguna Bronzer
Bourjois Voluminizer Mascara Ultra Black
Dior Creme de Rose 

13 comments:

  1. love your review !
    Do you prefer this over la roche posay effaclar mat as a moisturizer ? and as a makeup base?
    love your blog .. especially cause we have the same skin type :)
    thanks XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      Great question! You know, I was looking for a moisturizer with SPF because there were times I wanted to use certain foundations without SPF during the day, and I felt terrible going out without any sunscreen protection even if I was going to be driving only. The city where I live is VERY hot and the sun is always shining strong. That's why I got this.

      Effaclar Mat is mattifying, so I do like using it as a primer at NIGHT because it has no SPF, whereas I'm sticking to this one during the day. I try to stay out of products that contain any SPF for night use because of flashback photography.

      The Vichy moisturizer does not mattify. It leaves a natural, radiant but not greasy finish. x

      Delete
    2. oh thanks dear .. really appreciate it ♥

      Delete
  2. Great post as usual my dear!
    I'm with you on the SPF part! So so important!
    I've actually tried this moisturizer when I was pregnant but I don't remember if there was an SPF in it... Maybe it was just the same packaging!
    I use the Avène Hydrance for dry skin in the winter and then switch to the normal/combination skin in summer! It contains a SPF of 20, which is nice for an everyday use. If I go in the mountains or if I know I'm going to be outdoor a lot I use a SPF of 50 by Avène as well!
    I guess La Roche-Posay and Avène are very similar in terms of composition and ethic! No parabens and lots of thermal water! ;-)

    Thanks for sharing! I'm off to bed now! Mwah! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my dear! I love all Frech Pharmacy products just like you. It's always sunny here, so I always have to use sunscreen regardless. Our skin will thank us when we're older ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patricia! I love your blog. I just got my first Vichy product (Purete Thermale One Step Cleanser) as a sample and I was so excited! But then I saw that it has mineral oil in it and was so disappointed. Could you tell me if this has mineral oil in it? I'm really interested in trying it out! I currently use the Dior Hydralife Protective Fluid but it only has a 15 SPF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy to hear you love my blog. Comments like those always make my day :)

      Sorry to hear about the One Step Cleanser... Eeek!! I don't know why "Dermatologist-approved companies" suddenly come up with those surprising ingredients... it just doesn't make sense to me.

      No mineral oil in the moisturizer... but it does contain a silicone:
      Ingredients
      Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 3%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 7%.
      Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isononyl Isononanoate, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Diisopropyl Sebacate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Sucrose Tristearate, Polysorbate 61, Peg-12 Dimethicone, PEG-6, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Dimethiconol, Methylparaben, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Arginine Pca, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hyaluronate, Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, Phenoxyethanol, Voandzeia Subterranea Seed Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium Edta, Ammonium Polyacryloyldimethyl Taurate, Caprylyl Glycol, Panthenol, Xanthan Gum, Polyphosphorylcholine Glycol Acrylate, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance.

      If it helps make your decision... if you're looking for a higher SPF, I would purchase an SPF by itself. I'm actually going to do that soon. I think I'm going to get the one by Clarins (I've read many good reviews on it). xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for posting the ingredients! I know silicone does prevent skin from absorbing moisture but what is your personal experience with it? I never realized that silicone was so bad for your hair until recently and finally switched to sulfate and silicone free hair care. Do the same rules for silicone in hair apply to skin?

      I've also heard really good things about the Clarins one! I will definitely consider that but sometimes I feel like when I put serum, moisturizer, SPF, and then makeup that it all ends up feeling really heavy on my face.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome!

      Though the Vichy lotion does contain that one silicone, it doesn't feel silicon-ey. It's creamy and lightweight.

      To be completely honest, I'm going to purchase the Clarins one. I think I've completely made up my mind about it. I've read tons about how it's better to use a separate SPF for better protection rather than one mixed in your moisturizer. I'll post the link so you know which one I'm talking about:

      http://www.sephora.com/uv-plus-hp-day-screen-high-protection-spf-40-P282024

      If you go to the ingredients section, you'll see it contains the same silicone found in the one by vichy, but it was one of the SPF with the highest ratings I found. Hope that helps xx

      Delete
    4. Thanks for all your advice! I really love your blog. You happen to review all the items I have questions about. The blog also feels very accessible (and not intimidating, though I will never be as good at applying makeup as you!)and gives me confidence that I will be able to figure out a skincare routine eventually! Love that you review Dior skin products; it's been hard to find reviews and I love Dior!

      Delete
    5. I'm very happy to hear that you're enjoying my blog. Comments like yours are my motivation in keeping this baby up and going!

      When I started this blog, I wanted it to be the kind of blog I like to read -- informative, clean and easy to read. I really try to give my best and it's nice to know that people notice it every now and then. So thank you very much! xx

      Delete
    6. Please keep it going! I'm sure it is a lot of work but you are probably helping more people than you think (since not everyone comments)!

      I freaked out when you changed your blog name because I had the old name bookmarked. I thought you stopped blogging!

      Delete
    7. Thank you sweetie. That means a lot, really. I know--- few people comment! I know I don't have the huge number when it comes to fans, but the content is what matters to me the most. Thanks for the support!

      By the way, I had no idea that by changing my blog's name, I was going to lose all of my followers... therefore nobody found out about the change :( only those who follow me on instagram and twitter.

      xx

      Delete