Sunday, August 4, 2013

GLAMGLOW Super-Mud Review

I first tried the GLAMGLOW Super-Mud mask four months ago when a Sephora Personal Beauty Advisor suggested it would calm down my then-hormonal-skin. It's the kind of scenario nobody wishes: I was leaving to Puerto Rico the day after to my brother's wedding and my skin was oily with random, painful breakouts on my forehead and chin area. Though the situation sucked, it was the perfect time to test the product and I have to say, I was awed. 




WHO IS IT FOR?

GLAMGLOW Super-Mud is directed to people with problematic skin. We're talking about blackheads, whiteheads, discoloration, oily skin, pimples and ingrown hair.  I wouldn't recommend this to those with dry or sensitive skin. 

I was given several samples at Sephora that day which I ended up using only on special occasions. I really, really love this stuff. Eventually, I ended up going for the full-size.



PRODUCT DETAILS

The product comes in a small glass jar that feels pretty luxe. The mask smells quite herbal, which I personally like. The consistency is thin, containing tiny eucalyptus leaves and it's easy to spread. 

As for the ingredients, there is a lot to be found. The main powerful cocktail is what GLAMGLOW calls "Acnecidic-6 4.4%":
  • Glycolic Acid: Helps restore photo-damaged skin (hyper-pigmentation) and helps smooth out skin texture. 
  • Salicylic Acid: Helps unclog and minimize pores.
  • Lactic Acid: Helps with pigmentation and stimulates collagen.
  • Mandelic Acid: Helps with fine lines and wrinkles.
  • Pyruvic Acid: Helps heal scaring for clearer skin.
  • Azalaic Acid: Helps fight follicle bacteria. 

Phew!

Now, what makes this mask so cool to use is that it dries (and it dries pretty fast) on the areas where the skin is technically "fine", but it takes longer to dry on the more problematic areas, and you can literally see tiny dots which is oil being pulled out. This is thanks to GLAMGLOW'S "Pore Matrix"-- charcoal and clay absorb and extract excess sebum, bacteria and toxins. 

Other important ingredients:
  • Eucalyptus Leaf: Helps fight toxins.
  • Licorice Root: Helps alleviate problematic skin.
  • Peppermint Plant: Helps fight bacteria.
  • Chamomile: Helps with inflammation.
  • Marigold: Helps fight viral and microbial issues.
  • Comfrey Herb: Helps analgesic recovery.
  • Aloe Vera: Helps healing.
  • Ivy: Helps relieve itching and tightens skin.
  • Cucumber: Helps sooth skin.
I really like how some ingredients fight skin issues while others help sooth. 


APPLICATION & RESULTS

I always like to start by cleansing and exfoliating my skin. Today I used Bliss Fabulous Foaming Face Wash, which does both at the same time. I then spritzed Caudalie Beauty Elixir on my skin. You don't need to apply a super-thick layer of this mask -- a little goes a long way, and as I said earlier, it's easy to spread. I did try applying it with a brush once, but I switched back to my plain-ol' fingertips because I found that the product dried too fast on the brush and I ended up wasting lots. 


I like to put a head band on and a clip to keep my hair away from my face. Now get ready for the scary pictures.


This picture was taken seconds after applying it. As you can see, it immediately dries on the "OK" areas.



This one was taken about five minutes later. The areas that take longer to dry are those that have more "gunk". 




Though the mask hardens as it dries, it's really easy to remove. Once it comes in contact with water, it dissolves effortlessly. 


Short term effects? Smoother, less oily and tight (not in a bad way) skin. Regardless of the face mask I'm using, I always like to finish off with a good moisturizer. Today I used Fresh Rose Hydrating Gel Cream. Long-term effects? A noticeable reduction of spots.


MY THOUGHTS

This is a fantastic mask, probably one of my favorite masks of all times because it's so effective, healing and versatile (it can also be used as a spot treatment). Though some ingredients, such as peppermint and  eucalyptus may be irritating to some, they have never been an issue to me. Anytime I use it, my skin feels like it has "taken a breath", if that makes sense.

I highly recommend it, especially if you have problematic skin. If you have combination skin and you find this to be really drying on some areas, then just apply it on your troubled areas (ex: t-zone).

For more information go to: http://www.glamglowmud.com/


Have you used the GLAMGLOW Super-Mud mask? What are your thoughts on it? 






6 comments:

  1. This mask sounds amazing! I have the Origins Clear Improvement Clay Mask and they sound pretty similar, except the GlamGlow one seems more powerful I guess? Now I kinda want to get this one next, not good for my bank account ;)
    Thanks a lot for the review Patricia!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I've also tried the one by Origins and it was good, but I like Glam Glow a lot more. It's more powerful, as you said.

      The glam glow IS pricey, but it's a lot cheaper in amazon than at sephora. I got mine for $34! xx

      Delete
  2. Great review sis!
    Very informative and detailed...
    I've tried a sample of this not so long ago, it's definitely not suitable for my skin type. But I can see how younger/oilier skins would benefit from it!
    Have a nice day!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sis! I remember you telling me you tried this and it wasn't for you. You're a lucky gal! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I've tried the GlamGlow Super Mud and I love it! It's the first mask I've used where I really have felt a difference in my skin after using it. I really, really like it as a spot treatment. It is very effective! I have somewhat sensitive skin and it didn't bother me at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't used it at a spot treatment (yet) but I assume it dries up the spots really fast? Thanks for sharing your opinion! xx

      Delete