Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Foundation Collection


I take foundations pretty seriously - I don't buy them impulsively because I am very meticulous about what I look for. So this isn't your ordinary collection post. I love all these foundations for various reasons and on this post I am sharing with you why. Hope you enjoy. 


Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer
My shade: SX08
Coverage: Full
Formula: Cream
Finish: Natural

What: If you're a long-time reader, you already know I adore this foundation. For those who are new to my website, this foundation is my all time favorite because it is so versatile. Some people use it as a heavy duty concealer, but I love having the ability to play with it. I'm a full-coverage gal, so I wear it on its own, which can be slightly hard to work with for makeup newbies, but I actually have a video on how I use it which you can watch by clicking here

Why: I always receive compliments on my skin whenever I wear this. It's good skin in a little pot which will last you ages -- the formula is rich and concentrated, so a little goes a very long way.

Who: Suitable for anyone, in my opinion, because there are many ways you can use it. If hyperpigmentation and acne are an issue to you, you'll enjoy the full-coverage benefit when used on its own. If you're a tinted moisturizer type of gal, mix a tiny amount with your favorite moisturizer for lighter coverage. You have 100% control over the coverage.

When: I wear this on special occasions when I want to look my very best. 




Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation
My shade: 53 Light Beige
Coverage: Medium
Formula: Liquid
Finish: Satin

What: Though Bourjois is hard to find in North, Central and South America - ahem, because "America" isn't just the U.S.A., just sayin' - this foundation is worth the hunt. If you find it, get it. 

Why: This does not feel like a drugstore foundation. Period. It is gorgeous, luminous, natural and it feels expensive.

Who: I not only see teenagers wearing this foundation, but also adults (like myself) and even 60+ who have normal to combination or dry skin. 

When: I like to wear this foundation when I want a more glowy finish. Sometimes I pair it with Nars Orgasm Illuminator for extra glow. 


Shop it


Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Compact
My shade: 30 Beige
Coverage: Medium (buildable)
Formula: Cream
Finish: Satin

What: Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua is exquisite and quick to apply. I have mine out of the compact, simply because it's less bulky without it.

Why: This foundation is so luxe, creamy, easy to blend and buildable. I love how it also looks so natural on the skin, never cakey.

Who: If you love the good ol' Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua but have always desired a bit more coverage and hydration, you'll love the compact version.

When: I like to wear this foundation when I need to get ready quickly. I use a flat foundation brush to apply it starting on the center of my face, blending outwards.


Shop it

Hourglass Immaculate Foundation
My shade: Nude
Coverage: Medium
Formula: Liquid-to-powder
Finish: Matte

What: This foundation has some serious power to it. There's just something about it that draws me to it and - really - to all Hourglass cosmetics. I got this last year around April and actually wore it to my brother's wedding in Puerto Rico. I applied it around 3pm in the morning and it was still on my face at 2am when I got back to my hotel room, soaked because I went to the beach at night. Yes, ladies and gentlemen - this stuff is long-wearing and waterproof.

Why: The Immaculate Foundation makes your skin look flawless, and it's always a bonus when a foundation is this long-wearing. Perfect for long days.

Who: If you have dry skin, moisturize prior to applying your primer and foundation. If you have oily skin, you'll love, however, those with normal skin will be just fine, too. We can all go to the party with this one.

When: I always opt for this foundation when I know I have a long day ahead of me.


Shop it 


Dior Hydra Life BB Cream
My shade: Universal
Coverage: Medium
Formula: Liquid
Finish: Natural

What: I was never fond of the whole BB-mania, let alone the CC-mania. Look, they're all foundation with a different name for marketing purposes - which a lot of people fall for - and companies love it. I purchased this foundation shortly after being released and loved it after trying a sample for a few weeks. The coverage is pretty darn good and the "Universal" shade - which was the only available shade when it was released and is NOT universal - was a pretty good match for my light beige skin with yellow undertones.

Why: Quick, easy to use, blends easily and has an okay SPF amount built in which I can get away with for quick errands.

Who: Anyone looking for a quick way to look polished and have SPF all in one.

When: When I want to run quick errands but want to cover up minor imperfections, I grab this foundation. You can actually see me wear it when I reviewed it and see the shitty state my skin was in back in June of 2013... oh, BLESS Blue Plasma! Ah, and despite I wrote on that post that the finish is luminous, remember, it's Natural (read above).

Shop it (it now comes in three shades)


By Terry Sheer Expert 
My shade: #8 Intense Beige
Coverage: Light
Formula: Liquid
Finish: Natural

What: Pricey. Yes. But you get what you pay for. I have been wanting this foundation for such a long time. I even had a dream where a lady color matched me and all - yes - I am that obsessed - and my sweet sister gifted it to me for Christmas. It's all I had ever wanted and more. This lightweight formula blurs imperfections and is virtually undetectable.

Why: I don't feel like I have anything on my skin when I wear this.

Who: Anyone with good skin will love this. If you just want to cover barely-there imperfections or even out your skin tone, this is for you.

When: This foundation is perfect to use when I know I'll be seen in daylight (because it is so undetectable) and for very good skin days.


Shop it


Make Up For Ever HD Foundation
My shade: #155
Coverage: Medium to Full
Formula: Liquid
Finish: Satin

What: This is the foundation I've probably owned the longest and it's still going strong. It takes me forever to finish a foundation because I rotate them a lot. But this one is fab.

Why: It photographs beautifully because it does not contain SPF, and despite the fact its coverage is pretty darn good, it feels lightweight on the skin.

Who: Anyone who wants a full-coverage foundation that doesn't feel heavy will enjoy this. I also recommend this foundation for events where flash photography will be taken.

When: I love wearing this foundation for parties or events. It looks spectacular in photos!


Shop it


L'oreal Nude Magic BB Cream
My shade: Medium
Coverage: Light
Formula: Liquid
Finish: Natural

What: I really like this foundation. Though it has a very strange consistency at first (think of a mild manual exfoliator), the beads dissolve into a pigmented liquid a.k.a. foundation.

Why: The finish is perfect for no makeup-up makeup days. It reminds me of a drugstore version of the By Terry Sheer Expert in terms of coverage and maybe? finish.

Who: If you don't have much to cover and don't want to spend a plethora amount of money, check out this foundation.

When: I enjoy using this foundation for quick errands or days when I want to wear something really light.

You can see me wearing it by clicking here.

Shop it


Dior Airflash 
My shade: 300
Coverage: Medium to Full
Formula: Spray - Liquid
Finish: Matte

What: You can tell I've had this for a while because I have the older packaging. This foundation was designed to "spray" directly onto your face, though I don't suggest using it that manner because a) you end up wasting a lot of product b) you'll get foundation all over your hair (including eyebrows and lashes) c) you'll notice the product isn't evenly distributed, resulting in uneven patches. Instead, shake the bottle and spray directly to your foundation brush of choice.

Why: The lack of foundation of SPF makes this an outstanding one for flash-photography. It covers so well, yet feels so lightweight on the skin. I also love how it's so easy to build -- just press your foundation brush on troubled areas rather than "buffing" it on.

Who: I can see this working for everyone. However, if you have dry skin, make sure you moisturize because this foundation does cling to dry patches.

When: This is a foundation of choice when I know I'm going to be photographed, for instance, Christmas Eve. It is absolutely beautiful in photos.


Shop it






11 comments:

  1. OH POR DIOS! Casi muero y revivo.. tenés muchísimas bases y me moriiiiiiii con todas, quiero todas ya ya !
    Y tengo que decirte que sos una diosa Pat mira esa piel!! yo estoy teniendo unos brotes terrible jaja que envida!

    Hblando de bases solamente tengo dos.. la revlon colorstay standard para pieles oleosas y la laura mercier silk creme foundation que me encanta como deja la piel. Me encantaría probar la de Hourglass y la de Dior!

    Un besote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mil gracias Flo! <3 Si, soy adicta jaja pero me gustan todas por diferentes motivos, por eso comparti este post.

      La piel te juro que para mi lo hizo todo Blue Plasma. Puedes ver posts del a~o pasado antes de agosto para ver la diferencia. Nunca sufri con acne como tal pero no tenia la textura tan lisa como ahora. Por eso me dio tanta tristeza cuando mi mama partio la botella sin querer...

      La Hourglass te encantaria, es totalmente divina. Deberias de leer mas acerca de ella para que entiendas por que me gusta tanto. La Dior es preciosa para ocasiones especiales. Te encantarian! Hay algun counter donde estas donde puedas probarlas? Besote!

      Delete
  2. Hi sis!

    What a great detailed post! Wow! I love that you included a picture each time, it's very useful to see the result.
    You know I like natural coverage, I'm curious about the By Terry Sheer Expert and the Dior Airflash... although I'm still obsessed with the Laura Mercier Mineral Powder LOL! I haven't worn anything else since April 2013! For night-outs I use the Chanel Vitalumière Aqua, I'm trying to use it up... I looooove it but I know it will be too much for summer here...
    By the way... your green makeup in the last pic... Oh My! Diviiiiiiiiine!!!
    Thanks for sharing such great content with your readers! You deserve so much more followers!
    Much love sis! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sis! I put a lot of effort into it... but it was fun doing it. I see you loving the By Terry Sheer Expert because you have beautiful skin. The Dior Airflash is great for special occasions when you want to look WOW.

      Thanks for the compliment on the makeup in the last pic! I miss doing my makeup. Dammit! LOL
      And thank you for reading! As for the followers, well, that's hard when you're not "famous" LOL Much love sis! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Go easy with the blur, girl. Some of us would like to see how the foundations actually look like on human skin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patricia, all of your looks are GORGEOUS here. You have the kind of lips I'd have surgery for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What a compliment. It's all a trick. I always "reshape" my lips with the lipstick I'm wearing. Xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hey there ! I just found you on IG ! And it took only some seconds to be fan of your makeup and skincare tips! 1st of all , thank you for sharing a small small tips with us to make our face beautiful ! :) 2nd I really need your help in deciding the brands. I am new to makeup and I want to buy some good makeup products for me. After your review, I am still confused. I feel every thing is nice ;) but can you suggest me something for like professional makeup types for wedding of my sister. And also something for my natural look routin. My skin is oily. And I have a wheatish skin tone like medium tone. Can you suggest me some some products for foundation, blush and bronzer (the basics) for these two different types of makeup ! :)

    Regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Birva! Absolutely. If you have oily skin and want something for special occasions like your sister's wedding, my suggestion for you would be the Hourglass Immaculate because it has a liquid to powder formula, a matte finish and it's waterproof. For a more natural look (within the products I discussed here) I'd go with the L'oreal BB Cream which is technically a very light foundation... remember to always moisturize properly according to your skin type and to use a primer which targets your skin concern. I've heard the Becca primer for oily skin is FABULOUS. As for blush and bronzer, you could go with anything. There are no rules.

      Delete
    2. PS: and thank you so much for the compliments! Knowing that I am able to help out people makes my day.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much Patricia ! :) I am looking forward to it ! :)

      PS: kepp doing the good work girl ! :)

      Delete