Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My New Year's Eve Look

Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a while. I want to start off this post by wishing everyone a happy 2013 - may this year be better than the last.

Due to the amount of positive feed back I received on Instagram on my New Year's Eve look (thank you!), I decided to share with you what I used and how I used it to achieve the look.

Originally, I was thinking on doing a simple gold-toned look, but I was feeling inspired and I started experimenting/playing with blues and the result was a blue smokey eye which really made my already-big-dark-eyes pop even more.

@makeupbypatricia on Instagram


I wanted to make my skin look fresh and dewy, even though I live in a ridiculously tropical place.

@makeupbypatricia on Instagram



Want to see how I achieved this look? If so, keep reading!



1. Prepare Your Skin
For me, prepping the skin is essential if I want it to look the very-best. This was my pre-makeup cocktail for the night:


I applied my favorite face mask - Black Tea Instant Perfecting Mask by Fresh - left it on for about two hours and then rinsed it off with cool water.

Then I moisturized my skin with Effaclar Mat by La Roche Posay - a moisturizer which controls oil - mixed with a scoop of Turbo Booster C Powder by Philosophy. Mixing Vitamin C to my lotion would guarantee a healthy, natural glow under my makeup.



2. Eyes: base
Now Comes the fun part. Playing with colors and textures!


Using a Mac 217 brush, I applied a thin layer of Blackground Paint Pot by Mac (left) on my lids, slightly blending it upwards near my crease, and creating an outer V.

Using the same brush, I lightly applied a Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eyeliner in Teal (right) on my lids, concentrating on the center, and blended the color.



3. Pop of Color



Ahhhh! Beautiful colors. Using the same Mac 217 I began using Winkle by Mac on the lids (left), followed by Atlantic Blue (right) on the mid and outer parts blending up into the crease.



4. Eyes: smoke it up



This beautiful palette is by Kat Von D and it is called Ludwig. I used the darkest shade (Lucifer) which is a matte black, to add the intensity that defines this look. I heavily applied it on the outer V, blending out and onto the crease.

Note: I applied the color with the same Mac 217, and then used a clean one to blend. The key to a smokey eye is blending. Add, blend. Add, blend. Blend, blend, blend.


5. Eyeliner: cat eye essential


I applied a thin line of my FAVORITE eyeliner - Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Gel Eyeliner in 01 Stay Onyx using a Sephora Gel Eyeliner brush.



6. Open up the eyes: tear duct trick


I applied the white shade on this Dior Palette called Garden Pastels (top right) to my tear duct using a Mac 219 brush.


7. Waterline and Lashes



This Kajal Eye Liner by Stila in Onyx (bottom) is so creamy, it blends effortlessly from the bottom waterline onto the bottom lash line using the same Mac 219 pencil brush. I topped the liner with Lucifer from the Kat Von D palette (black shade used on outer V).

Volume and length was added to my top and bottom lashes using this Estee Lauder Sumptuous Mascara (top).


8. FACE!: flawless base



If I'm going to do a smokey eye, I always like my skin to look as flawless as possible. I chose to apply my Dior Diorskin Forever Foundation (shade 030) using a Real Techniques Buffing Brush. This is a fantastic medium-full coverage foundation.

To conceal my dark circles, I used my Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place concealer (shade 08 Warm Light Medium).



9. Contour, highlight and blush



This step may be tricky, but once you get the hang of it, it can enhance your natural bone structure and even give your face a "thinner" appearance.

Using a Mac Pro Sculpting Cream in the shade Richly Honed (last), I started off by contouring my nose using a Sephora Point Concealer brush and blending with a fluffy Revlon brush with no name or number.

To contour my cheekbones, I applied the same cream using a Real Techniques Contour brush.

High Beam by Benefit (center) was used to highlight the center of my nose, below my brown bone, on top of my cheekbones and cupid's bow.

Using a Mac 217 brush, I applied this beautiful Chanel blush in the color 63 Plum Attraction onto my cheeks blending upwards.


10. Strong eyes, nude lips



I kept my lips natural by using this Estee Lauder lipstick in 46 Barely Nude. Very creamy!



11. Seal the deal



Spraying a setting spray is extremely helpful, especially if you're going out and you want your make-up to last. I used my Urban Decay De Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray.



You obviously don't have to use the same products I used if you're interesting in re-creating a similar look. Use any colors you want from any brand. I used blue colors, but you can use any other. I know many people who find attempting a smokey-eye look intimidating, but the secret to it is blending and taking your time to build up the color. If you have any questions, let me know! x


No comments:

Post a Comment