Monday, April 29, 2013

How To: Achieve A Sexy Glow

Glowing skin looks like healthy skin, which is why it's what I always try to look for when I do my makeup, regardless of what eyeshadows or lipstick I go for.

If you're a follower, you know this already: I have combination skin. My t-zone tends to get oily and sometimes even dry, while my cheeks are normal. But even those with combination or oily skin can go for dewy looks-- it's all about the products you use and the order in which you use them. 

I've compiled some tips and tricks for you, and at the end of the post I will show you one of my current favorite highlighters. If you're interested, continue reading.

Skincare
You can put as much makeup as you want to make your skin look radiant, but you shouldn't rely on it by itself. Glowing skin should start from beneath. Exfoliate regularly, use facemasks once or twice a week and moisturize your skin properly. The healthier your skin, the less makeup you will have to use.

Foundation
It's up to you whether you want to go for a radiant foundation, mix it with an illuminator or use the illuminator prior to your foundation. I personally like to add the dewiness as I go, little by little. It's easier to add products than to "cover" them. 

Those with very dry or dry skin can use a moisturizing or dewy foundation and then add highlighter on any desired areas. 

People with combination skin can use a matte or luminizing foundation, powder the areas that tend to get oily and then apply a highlighter on any desired areas, avoiding the oily sections. 

Last but not least, oily skin should avoid extremely moisturizing or dewy foundations and stick to matte formulas. Then, highlight any desired areas.

Choosing A Highlighter
There are tons of highlighters on the market, which can make it hard to pick one. There are cream, liquid and powder formulas. Anyone can use either of them, but people with dry skin will benefit from liquid or cream formlas, while those with combination to oily skin will probably do better with powder formulas. This is optional though. Even though I have combination skin, I love to use all three formulas. If I want a really dewy and glowing finish, I'll set any oily areas with powder and then add the glow where I want it. 

Currently Loving: Too Faced Candlelight Glow Highlighting Powder Duo
You get two shades in one solid compact: champagne and pink. Use them separately or mixed together (I mix them together). Since I have combination skin, I avoid putting any luminizer on my forehead, and just apply some on the top of my cheekbones, bridge of the nose and cupid's bow.



Below you have three pictures where I've used this highlighter duo. The pictures have not been edited. The glow that you see is the glow that you get!




Do you have any tips and tricks to achieve healthy looking skin? Share!


2 comments:

  1. You are the queen of glowing skin Pat! It looks amazing!
    You know I like the Benefit High Beam and the Chanel Vitalumière Aqua to get that dewy look!
    I also love a Kiko highlighting stick (Nars Multiple kind of product).
    MAC' Soft & Gentle is also a good one but it looks a bit less natural...
    I hope you are sleeping right now! LOL! :-)
    Night night little sister! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning sis! LOL I passed out after I wrote you on IG. I had to get up early to sign up for classes online... I think that's what did it!

      I can't wait to try Kiko someday! I swatched Soft and Gentle when I was in the US but didn't get it. I was trying to convince myself that I had "Enough" highlighters already....as if a woman ever has "enough" makeup.

      Thanks for sharing your favorites! Have a lovely day in beautiful Switzerland! xx oo

      Delete