Monday, June 16, 2014

Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick Review

I normally don't go out and run to get a product just because a "YouTuber" says so. I don't like to refer to this person as so but rather as a make up artist. I began watching Wayne Goss years ago before he was as famous as he is today. Sticking to someone on YouTube is hard for me. I feel like many change once they receive popularity. Wayne, to me is one of the few who has remained humble and always gives the most honest reviews, so once I heard him rave about the reformulated Bobbi Brown Foundation Sticks ($44, .31 oz / 9g), I knew I had to get at least one. 


I went to Sephora and got a shade that matched my skintone (4 Natural) and a darker shade for contouring (6.5 Warm Almond). The reformulated version has better lasting-power and has a more diverse shade range - twenty four shades! Bobbi Brown was criticized for having very yellow-based foundations so she listened and her new range contains more pink undertones. That's something I love about Bobbi - she listens and she provides products for not just a particular skin tone (um, hello, Chanel). 


I've provided some before and after pictures. As you can see, no, I don't have perfect skin :) as many of you claim. It's all about the foundation, guys!


I apply the foundation directly to my face and then blend it with my fingertips. I generally just do this once, however you can add more layers to provide more coverage on the areas where you need it and it never looks cakey.


After blending with fingertips
As you can see, one layer will give you medium coverage but you can apply less product if you want a sheerer application. To make it simple: you have control over the coverage. The foundation is able to cover redness, discoloration and a few left over scars. I have a noticeable breakout on my forehead that it didn't cover. If you have active open breakouts, I do not recommend liberally applying this foundation directly from the tube as it can get contaminated. Just something to keep in mind. 


This is how I apply the shade 6.5 to contour. A little bit goes a long way and it can look orangey if you use too much due to its red undertone - but then again, this is a foundation, not an exclusive contour shade. I like it though, and I find that since both are the same formula, they blend like buttah.

*Not fully blended*
Something really important I want to point out: even if you think you're mediocre at contouring, using these foundation sticks makes it easy. If you think you went a little too low on the cheekbone, just "correct" it by dabbing your skintone shade on it (as shown on picture above).

And *coughs* #bloggerfail: today is Father's Day and I was running late to a family lunch, hence I
didn't have the time to take a photo with decent camera so I took a selfie from my phone to show the end result. I personally think these types of photos are helpful so you can see how everything looks once you've applied your concealer, blusher, etc. 


Here is another picture taken a couple days ago using the foundation sticks so you see how it photographs. Beu-ti-ful in my opinion.


It does have the tendency to cling to dry patches which brings me to another important point:

  • This will wear well on those with combination to oily skin.
  • If you have normal to dry skin, make sure your face doesn't have flaky spots (exfoliation can help with that) and that your skin is properly moisturized as it clings to dry patches.
Regardless of your skin type, prepping it is always a must. But more on that on a future blogpost. 

Pros
  • Bobbi Brown offers a realistic, wide shade range. 
  • Suitable for any skin type.
  • It's very easy and quick to use. Just apply directly from the stick and blend. Done in seconds!
  • Coverage is very buildable and can go from sheer to medium or even full.
  • Natural finish despite being a creamy product.
  • It's very lightweight.
  • Lasting power is awesome. Tested in extreme hot and humid weather.
  • Photographs beautifully - no SPF on it.
Cons
  • None.
Overall I think this a a beautiful product worth the hype. I've been using it almost non-stop since I purchased it. I'm obsessed, happy and satisfied.

3 comments:

  1. I need to get my hands on this foundation! Also, I love the way you do your eyes :-)

    http://ofdreamsandthings.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the compliment! <3

      Delete
  2. Hi! I love your review :) Can I also make a suggestion? Why not review City Color Contour stick and highlight duo :D I read about a review on http://www.webbline.com/city-color-contour-stick-and-highlight-cream-duo-review/ and they sound pretty great :) Why not review it? I would love to read your review hehe

    ReplyDelete