Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Facial Hair Waxing: Tips and Tricks

Facial hair. We all have it and most of us don't like to talk about it. Here's another one for you - waxing

Waxing your upper lip. 

I am very hairy and my facial hair is literally black (thanks, dad) which makes it more noticeable and need to wax every couple of weeks. I've done it myself for years and I actually have some tips for you as well as product recommendations. 

I wasn't intending on writing this post tonight, however I happened to wax this afternoon, slightly peeled off some extra skin and my thesis defense is in less than forty-eight hours. Accidents happen, ladies and gentlemen but I have it all under control. 

If you do wax facial hair yourself or have ever thought about doing it, keep on reading. 


What You Need

Waxing Strips


There are three waxing strips I've used: Sally Hansen's, Veet's and Nads' - my favorite one being the last one simply because I find it doesn't leave much of a sticky residue. All do the job, nonetheless, which is: remove unwanted hair. 

Cleansing Balm/Oil


Speaking of wax residue: please don't use those "finishing wipes" that come included in waxing kits. They're usually loaded with fragrance, alcohol and pore-clogging ingredients. Instead, use a bit of cleansing balm or cleansing oil to gently get rid of wax residue. For instance today I used a wee-bit of my REN Cleansing Balm over my lip, added some water and gently removed it with a muslin cloth. Gently. My two favorite cleansing oils are the Tatcha 1-Step Camellia Cleansing Oil and the Boscia Makeup Break-Up Cleansing Oil


Thermal Water


Another tip is to use a thermal water mist to refresh and help with redness and inflammation. Don't wipe it off - just let your skin absorb it. 

Tweezers
Once the area is clean, use a tweezer to remove any hairs that were left.

S.O.S. I Just Removed an Extra Layer of Skin!


Here's a product no one ever talks about. La Roche Posay Cicaplast is a product every woman should have in their beauty arsenal. Think of it as an aesthetic Neosporin - one you can actually use on your face. I discovered this gem after receiving an awful laser burn on my hand (long story) and I was told to use Cicaplast to accelerate the healing process. It helped, it helped a lot. But then I read more about it and saw that you could use it on your face after minor dermatological procedures. BINGO! That's when I began using it on my face after accidental wax burns. 

The key ingredient in this gem is Madecassoide - an ingredient that makes me quite nostalgic. Madecassoide has come in a powder version (at least in Venezuela) for years and my mom always used to carry with her in case I fell and scraped my knee, elbows, whatever - it happened pretty frequently. Madecassoide plays a huge role in wound healing and collagen synthesis. Think of Cicaplast as a transparent beauty band-aid that will speed up the creation of new skin. And it works, guys. It's one of my top beauty secrets. 

So as I wrap this up for you, I'll let my Cicaplast rest on my upper lip and re-apply before I go to bed. It's normal to feel a slight burning sensation when you first apply it (just a heads up). I'll be good to go on Friday! 

Final Tips

  • Make sure the area you're waxing is clean and dry.
  • Never, ever, ever wax the same area twice. 
  • Wax during the day, in front of a big window preferably. 
  • Don't wax the same day you use AHA's, or if you used one the night before.
  • Inhale and exhale slowly before pulling the strip.
  • Don't wax during your period nor a week prior to it - your skin is more sensitive during that time. 
  • Don't use any AHA's after waxing nor any other ingredients that tend to irritate or sensitize your skin. 





2 comments:

  1. Very interesting article sis! Nobody ever talks about facial hair but it's the sad reality LOL!
    I have some peach fuzz myself... It's blond but still... it's there! :-)
    I love Cicaplast. It's a must in our little emergency stash!
    Gros bisous! :-)

    ReplyDelete