Sunday, January 5, 2014

Beating the Hangover

So 2014 is here and I think many of us can agree our sleep patters have been affected by the holidays. As January rolls in, turning on our alarm clocks back again can seem like an annoying little task. Maybe you overslept a little too much in December, or maybe you had too much wine. Feeling blah? Whatever the case is, I've gathered my SOS products to "Beat the Hangover". I'm not a heavy drinker myself, but this post will be helpful to any of you who feel dull, hungover or look sleepy and need to look fresh for work or school. 

Hope you enjoy. 




If you are a long time reader or follower, you know I take skincare pretty seriously. In my opinion, you can have the most luxurious and expensive makeup out there and still look like crap if you don't have a well taken care of canvas. The better your skin condition, the better makeup will apply and the less of it you'll need. 

No matter how tired you are, always remove your makeup before bedtime. 

To be honest, I'm not a fan and never have been of cleansing wipes, but do what you have to do. If you're ridiculously tired, at least grab micellar like Bioderma Sensibio water and cotton pads to remove most of your makeup. I say most because you should use something else aside from a cleansing water, like a cleansing gel, milk or balm. The point is, you need to get rid of all the dirt and grime. Your skin will thank you the morning after. 

Have you ever woken up and looked at yourself in the mirror and noticed you have darkness under your eyes -- more than the usual? Mascara residue tends to smudge underneath the eye area. 

Soak a Q-tip with cleansing water and dab it underneath your eye area and waterline. 

You'll be surprised at how much comes out. If you're feeling hungover or tired, getting rid of any unnecessary darkness will help you fake extra beauty sleep hours. 

Adding a splash of an energizing mist can give you that zing you need in the morning. 

I love the Caudalie Beauty Elixir. It smells herbally and feels minty and refreshing.


If you are carrying around some serious eye bags and have enough time to get ready before heading out the door, you could easily lessen the inflammation with an eye mask

I recommend the Chella Anti-Fatigue Eye Mask. They firm, hydrate, reduce eye bags and leave behind this beautiful glow. I featured them my Instagram page a while ago. Click here to view the picture. 

My next tip: moisturize. Regardless of your skin type, you must always moisturize (and of course, not skip SPF). 

Stick to what works for you. I personally love and recommend REN Moisturizers. They have something for everyone whether you are oily, acne-prone, normal or dry. 

Moving on to makeup.

Let your skin breathe. You don't want to aggravate it if it's irritated. But if you're heading to work or school and want to look decent, here are some of my tips:

If you have good skin, apply concealer only where you need it. 

You can use a corrector, which is a peachy-toned concealer to get rid of under-eye darkness. Apply an illuminating concealer on top. I personally love the By Terry Touche Veloutee as a high-end option, but a drugstore alternative is the L'oreal Touche Magique Concealer. 

Use a different concealer for blemishes -- one that is not illuminating. One that matches your skin tone. 

If you want to use foundation, you can add an illuminator to your routine or a tightening primer like the Clarins Beauty Flash Balm


I love High Beam and Nars Illuminators. Just dab some on the back of your hand, pour some foundation, mix it and apply it on the center of the face blending outwards. 


Don't be afraid of using bright colors on the cheeks. Illamasqua make beautiful blushes. You can click here to see swatches of both Brazen (creamy) and Excite (powder). 

Curl your lashes and add tons of mascara to give the illusion of bigger eyes. 

Adding a cream shade to your waterline neutralizes redness and makes you look more awake. Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal Pencil in Nude is a good one.


You don't need to do anything crazy to your eyes, but...

I love using my Mac Paint Pot in Painterly all over my lids to conceal veins and discoloration.


A great tip for tired faces. This will instantly make you look SHAZAM sexy: 

Add a bright, matte lipstick. Pink, coral, red -- choose what flatters you. But go BRIGHT. 

Just remember to keep your eyes neutral if you are going for the bright lipstick. 

Some other things I want to throw in:
- Make sure you drink lots of water throughout the day.
- Re-hydrate your skin if it's starting to look dry or dull. My fave, recent discovery is the Tatcha Dewy Mist. Spray it anytime, anywhere for lightweight, dewy, glowy skin. 












2 comments:

  1. Loooooved this post sis!!!
    I agree with you about taking makeup off at night! It makes me cringe when I see girls who don't!!! I can't go to bed without cleansing my face thoroughly! (and my teeth, LOL). No way!
    You know how much I love the Beauty Balm, Benefit High Beam, Caudalie Elixir and MAC Painterly... Good stuff! :-)
    Benji is back to school since yesterday (remember about our weekends being Friday and Saturday ;-) so mommy has to wake up pretty early... #FML but then... I have little time for myself so #YAY !!!
    Good night sis... I'm off to school! :-)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sis!! I'm so glad you loved it! I'm also like you when it comes to getting ready for bed. I don't know how there are people out there who just don't care... (gross).
      Please, pleeeeease consider youtubing on your free time!? Xoxo!

      Delete