Thursday, May 1, 2014

My Experience with Tatcha: A Comprehensive Review


Before I begin discussing the product reviews, I would like to apologize to everyone who reads me because this has been a highly requested post which has taken me long to publish. My friend Fiorella actually helped me film a video in which I reviewed the Tatcha products I own, however, she lost all her info on her computer due to some technical issues (I feel really sorry for her - she's a graphic designer. Imagine how that must feel like!) Hence, we lost the footage. The little camera I used to film with broke, so I can only communicate with you through Instagram and of course, here on my blog. I will do my best to review each of these products as detailed as possible. Quick disclaimer: I am not sponsored by Tatcha and none of these products were sent to me to review. I will be giving you my honest opinion on everything I mention. Hope you enjoy.

The first time I ever saw a Tatcha product was on Maree's Instagram. She raved about the Rice Enzyme Powder and Dewy Skin Mist, but what caught my attention the most was how beautifully designed every product was. It looked luxurious and just beautiful and unique compared to other products in the market. Tatcha is a luxury skincare line and I cannot afford to purchase everything on the line, so I added both the Classic Rice Enzyme Powder and the Dewy Skin Mist to my Christmas wishlist. My sweet sister gifted me both.

I then began reading about Victoria Tsai, Tatcha creator and founder and her inspiring background. Victoria was introduced to the world of beauty at a very young age due to the fact mother had an Asian skincare boutique. She also went to Harvard Business School and in 2009 traveled to Japan for work where she met a Kyoto, a Geisha who had no makeup on and she was astonished at how clear and beautiful her complexion was. That's where it all began and Geisha became Victoria's inspiration. She studied rituals they had practiced for over three-hundred years - secrets they had passed on from generation to generation. I think that's what's so unique about Tatcha - Victoria is a passionate woman who discovered all these secrets and decided to work hard and share them with the world. 

To maintain a porcelain-like look to the skin, Tatcha created HADASEI-3 Complex which is a blend of Red Algae known for its moisture retaining properties, Green Tea, a powerful antioxidant proven to prevent premature aging, and Japanese Rice Bran Extract which contains numerous vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Together, Tatcha promises supple, radiant and baby soft looking skin. 

The One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil is an oil based cleanser you massage onto dry skin and breaks down makeup, including waterproof. What I love about it is that it does not contain mineral oil and it is very gentle on my sensitive eyes (I wear contacts). My sister is a huge fan of this one. I don't have a picture of it because I tried the Deluxe Sample in January, ran out and didn't keep the bottle (my apologies). But the results? It always left my skin makeup-free, never tight nor dry and unlike most other oil cleansers, this one does not leave a greasy film once you rinse your face with water. Don't be scared of using an oil-based cleanser. It won't make your skin oilier, trust me. This is formulated for all skin types.

Shop the One Stem Camellia Cleansing Oil here

On the other hand, Tatcha offers three different Rice Enzyme Powders: Polished Deep Rice Enzyme Powder for oily skin, Polished Gentle Rice Enzyme Powder for sensitive/dry skin and Polished Classic Rice Enzyme Powder for normal/combination skin which is the one I use. This is a traditional Japanese powder cleanser which once mixed with a little water, it lathers up and creates a gentle foam. It actually contains real crushed pearls which are rich in calcium, magnesium and other minerals. The way I use it is I dampen my skin and keep one hand wet and the other one dry. With my dry hand, I pour a bit of the powder onto my wet hand, add about 4 drops of water to the powder, massage my hands together to create a foam and then gently distribute it all over my face and neck for a few seconds, then rinse it off with water. This is a cleanser, toner and exfoliator all in one and it's fragrance-free. I like using it after I've removed all of my makeup with an oil based cleanser. In other words, this is the cleanser I use to double cleanse, unless I didn't wear makeup that day. In that case, I'll only use this. I love the soft dewy finish my skin is left with. So, so soft.



I'm very verbal on IG on products I genuinely love. I took this picture right after cleansing with my Tatcha Classic Rice Enzyme Powder. No filter. Just look at that glow! @makeupbypatricia
Shop Tatcha Cleansers here

Her Luminous Dewy Skin Mist is probably my favorite product. Aside from containing the HADASEI-3 Complex, it has Squalane and other humectants that literally leave your skin dewy (in a good way). I find that three spritzes is all you need. This is such a great product for those who travel often, are exposed to dehydrating elements like A/C or just for people on the go. There are many ways I like to use this product. Let me list them for you.
  • Prior to using a facial mask to prep the skin.
  • After using a facial mask to restore my skin with nutrients and moisturizing agents.
  • Prior to applying my primer and foundation to create a natural silky canvas.
  • As the last step in my makeup routine to get rid of "flatness" and add a natural glow to the skin.
  • At midday to give my skin a boost of moisture.
  • Right before I go to bed to make my skin feel refreshed. A little extra hydration at the end of the day never hurts.

The results are always the same. My skin is luminous. There are many facial sprays out there that have so many claims and this is the only one I've tried that truly lives up to its expectations. A must have for those with normal to dry skin, or even combination since adding a few spritz of this to your skin will offer enough moisture.

Shop the Luminous Dewy Skin Mist here

Tatcha ran a QVC contest a few months ago. All you had to do was comment on your thoughts on the Camellia Cleansing Oil and the Classic Rice Enzyme Powder. Guess what? EVERYONE won. Yes! Everyone! That's something else about Victoria - she is incredibly generous. We got to choose any product we wanted, so I went for the Camellia Beauty Oil which is meant to be used on the face, body or hair. I am always dubious about these multi-purpose oils, especially since most of them contain fragrance and my skin (or most skins) don't like fragrance as it is an irritant. The first couple of weeks, my skin was fine. I really enjoyed the fact that it was a dry oil that left my skin plump. Unfortunately by week 3+ my skin started breaking out - breakouts that did not heal until I stopped using this oil on my face. So now I've only been using it on my body and hair. I've found it's an excellent massage oil. I keep it on my bedside table and give myself a hand and arm massage every night before I go to sleep. Since it's a dry oil, it moisturizes and plumps the skin yet doesn't leave a greasy residue. My cuticles love this! When I know I'm going to wash my hair the morning after, I'll also give myself a scalp massage (stimulates hair follicles, thus, stimulates hair growth!) using this oil. It's also lovely to add a few drops onto my dry hair if it's ever looking a bit frizzy dull as it adds a beautiful (not greasy) appearance. What makes this oil stand out compared to other oils out in the market is the fact that it contains real 24-karat gold flecks which makes this bottle look even more luxurious on your beauty stash. I also love the fact that the pump is easy to use and you have control over how much oil you want to dispense.




Shop the Camellia Beauty Oil here

Tatcha was also running yet another giveaway on her Facebook page where we all had the opportunity to win the Nozomi Kit which contained the Camellia Lip Balm, Beauty Blotting Sheets and a beautiful mirror small enough to carry in your purse. You might hesitate to believe me but... we all won again. We were all in awe and verbally thankful to the Tatcha team for such generosity. 

The Camellia Lip Balm has a very silky, oily texture which I adore because it instantly moisturizes my very chapped lips (I have the bad habit of biting them). The formula does not feel heavy whatsoever. I love using it when I wake up right after brushing my teeth, before I begin doing my makeup so my lips are nice and plump by the time I apply my lipstick and before I go to bed to make sure my lips stay moisturized while I sleep. I can still feel it on my lips when I wake up in the morning. Contrary to Nuxe Reve de Miel  which is another favorite lip balm, the Camellia Lip Balm has a glossy finish. It does come with a 24-karat gold leaf that crushes upon application, thus, it makes it a distinct lip balm, perfect to give as a gift!



Shop the Camellia Nourishing Lip Balm here


The Original Aburatorigami Beauty Papers are so luxurious. They even contain gold flecks! They are the perfect size and absorb any excess oil on my complexion without ripping apart (this happens with my $1 Elf Blotting Sheets... I know.... they are just a dollar! - You get what you pay for).






Shop the Aburatorigami Beauty Papers here

The mirror is small but always comes in handy since it's small enough to fit on a clutch. I always carry it with me anywhere I go because not only does it remind me of Victoria - (Vicky, if you're reading this, I hope that doesn't sound weird) but I can also see if my makeup is in place. I once had a bad experience where I applied red lipstick on a flight to Chicago with no mirror (I used my reflection on the window as a guide), I was smiling to everyone and then when I went to the bathroom I had red lipstick all over my teeth. Feel free to laugh, I laughed at myself as well! A mirror always comes in handy. 

Aside from the beautiful packaging and splendid, admirable woman behind this company, the customer service is incomparable. When you order from Tatcha.com you will receive everything beautifully packed with a personal note. Who does that? Really, how many beauty companies take the time to send a hand written note to their customers? How many beauty companies actually interact with their customers, run frequent giveaways where actually someone always wins? (if you don't win the prize, the Tatcha team will usually send you a discount code). Tatcha is the most caring company I know which is why I feel so enthusiastic when writing or speaking about it. I also have had the privilege to interact with Vicky via Instagram. She is extremely sweet, humble and warmhearted. 

Now, you may be asking yourself: Okay, the packaging is pretty luxe, but are the products really worth it? My genuine response is: if you can afford it, it's definitely worth the splurge. I love products that make my skin glowy and Tatcha has been able to do that for me.

I highly recommend checking out her products which can be found at www.tatcha.com or www.barneys.com. I know it's a very expensive line, but if you can afford it, invest in good skincare. I am planning on purchasing some items in the future and I promise to keep you all posted. 

I also invite you to follow Tatcha on her Facebook Fan Page so you can participate on her giveaways and stay up to date on its latest releases.

Have a wonderful day!
Xoxo,
Patricia

4 comments:

  1. Wow sis! That sounds like an amazing line!
    I loved reading your review, you know I trust your opinion, especially about skincare!
    Your skin is amazing... :-)
    Have a nice weekend sis! Much love! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a thorough review!
    Does the skin mist have a strong scent? I actually don't mind the scent from the CAUDALIE Beauty Elixir but I've tried some other sprays especially with rose that are too strong for me.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren! My apologies for such late reply - I was having issues with Blogger. Nope, this mist isn't as strong as Caudalie. It has a subtle fragrance.

      Delete
  3. wow! these all sounds really amazing!! I would love to try these products someday!

    ReplyDelete